On Sat, 21 May 2005, Robert Klemme wrote:

> "Luke Kanies" <luke / madstop.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Well, there are at least two problems with threads:  I've never done them
>> before and I hope not to have to learn them just to do this relatively
>> simple piece, and second they do add another dimension of complexity, one
>> which I must always be at least somewhat aware.  Given that, as I
>> mentioned, I'm a newbie to threads, this does not fill me with confidence.
>
> Yeah, but
>
> - there's quite some resources out there to learn from
>
> - you will have to at some point in time
>
> - but most important so: your application won't work without concurrency on
> your nodes; it's an application requirement.  It doesn't matter whether you
> do that with threads or processes, you need the concurrency.  And concurrency
> always needs some form of synchronization.  I'd say Ruby threads and
> synchronization are easier to learn that what different OS provide in terms
> of semaphores, locks, mutexes etc.  And once you get the basic concepts it's
> probably not that difficult to transfer that to some other implementation /
> technology.

Yeah, after sending the previous email, I kind of resigned myself to
threads.

The real problem is that I'm hoping eventually to hire someone who
actually knows what they're doing, and I expect my forays into this area
will be replaced when I succeed in doing so.

In case anyone's interested, I'm writing a (hopefully sophisticated)
project entirely in Ruby:

http://madstop.com/svn/blink

There's a small tutorial:

http://madstop.com/svn/blink/language/trunk/doc/intro.rst

It's kind of a next-generation cfengine, I guess, although it has a far
wider scope.

>> Yah, I know that they aren't real threads, but I believe they still come
>> with some of the problems that I would have with real threads.
>
> Like you having to learn them?

Well, yeah, that would be the first problem. :)

--
"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they
outvoted me."