On 2005-05-18, Basile Starynkevitch [news] <basile-news / starynkevitch.net> wrote:
> Actually I'm just trying to code in a quick and dirty way a ruby
> script dumping into a textual form a (rather small) GDBM file, whoses
> keys are all alphanumeric (and data are arbitrary binary strings). So
> far, I've managed to code the following script which seems to work.

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, I was missing the cumfort of LISP READ
ability.

Any by the way, I coded in C the equivalent of what I wanted to code
in Ruby. Yo can download it here
http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/gdbmtext.c and it is a tiny utility
dumping & loading GDBM associative files into and from textual files.
I am quite surprise that Debian don"t seems to have such (or an
equivalent) utility (to dump & restore GDBM files into textual
formats)

Again, sorry for this offtopic post, and for my naive questions on
Ruby. If ruby developpers are reading me, they might consider adding
into some future version of Ruby the opposite function of inspect for
strings only (without going into the risks of eval, just parsing
strings...)

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France