On Thu, 19 May 2005, Peter Wood wrote:

> == FireRuby Version 0.3.0
>
> FireRuby is an extension to the Ruby language that provides access to the C
> API functionality of the Firebird relational database management system.
>
> This release extends the functionality of the Row object to allow it to be
> used as a read only Hash object and adds new funcionality relating to the
> Firebird RDBMS service manager.
>
> Once again I would like to thank Ken Kunz for his support and input to the
> FireRuby project. Ken performs the unit testing and creates the gem file for
> the Linux version of the FireRuby library.
>
> == Enhancements & Alterations
>
> The Row class has been extended to include equivalents for all Hash methods
> that do would not alter the contents of the Hash. This effectively allows an
> instance of the Row class to be used as a Hash anywhere that a Hash object
> can be used without the need to change it's contents.
>
> A ServiceManager class and a collection of task related classes have been
> added for this release. The ServiceManager class represents a connection to
> a Firebird service manager instance. Task classes have been provided that
> allow for the backing up and restoration of databases as well as the
> addition or removal of database users.
>
> The Statement and ResultSet classes under went a major rewrite. This was
> done to eliminate a dependency between these two classes (the Statement
> class was using the ResultSet class to execute SQL regardless of whether the
> statement being executed was a query). This was an illogical and
> ill-consider set up and has now been eliminated. An effort was made to
> minimize changes to the interface but there have been some (primarily the
> constructor for the ResultSet class).  The ResultSet class has now been
> restricted for use with queries only and will generate and exception if a
> non-query statement is specified. Queries can still be run through the
> Statement class but, if you know you're executing a query statement, it is
> more efficient to go straight to a ResultSet object.
>
> == Bug Fixes
>
> The only currently outstanding bug relates to accessing methods on the
> ResultSet class objects that have been created with a non-query SQL
> statement. This class has been fundamentally re-written and no longer allows
> the use of non-query SQL statements. This bug is therefore closed.
>
> == Downloads
>
> The FireRuby project is hosted on the Ruby Forge web siteThe home page for
> the
> project is here...
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/fireruby/
>
> ...and the files for this release can be obtained here...
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=596

looks like you had some strange things going on when you compiled:

   [ahoward@localhost fireruby-0.3.0-i586-linux]$ ruby -r examples/example01.rb
   ./lib/fireruby.so: libruby18.so.1.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - ./lib/fireruby.so (LoadError)

   [ahoward@localhost fireruby-0.3.0-i586-linux]$ ldd lib/fireruby.so
       libfbclient.so.1 => /opt/firebird/lib/libfbclient.so.1 (0xb7f74000)

       libruby18.so.1.8 => not found

       libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f54000)
       libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0xb7f26000)
       libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7f03000)
       libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7dd9000)
       libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0xb7d1d000)
       libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7cdb000)
       libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7cc9000)
       /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00569000)
       libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7cc1000)

i had to make a link to get it to work.  probably other people won't have
libruby18.so.1.8 either...

can you post an example of using the api in an embedded fashion?

cheers.

-a