Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> writes:

> Actually, I believe this is going to change in the
> future. Anyhow, Gavin K's workaround (see previous post)
> is what I tend to use.

Yeah I think it's the better workaround, using range to extract
a single char seems very odd to me. Anyway I prefer the Python
"style" where "hello"[0] returns the char and you can always
use ord() function to get the number. How many people iterate
trough strings to get the ordinal numbers? In my own opinion
the default behavior should be iterating over chars (or strings
of length 1) not over ordinal numbers... but as stated in another
post... Matz should have a reason to do in this way.

--
Lawrence
http://www.oluyede.org/blog