If you install the mysql from http://serverlogistics.com it will work
great on tiger. I got it working with the standard tiger ruiby from
apple. Butf I actually shunned that ruby and compiled my own from
source. But both of them worked with mysql-ruby. The mysql from the
link above also has a sytem preference pane for setting mysql
passwords and stopping and restarting mysqld. Once I installed that
version of mysql the mysql-ruby extension worked fine like this:
$ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
And them make and sudo make install. Hope this helps

-Ezra