From: Dave Thomas <Dave / thomases.com>

> "Conrad Schneiker" <schneiker / jump.net> writes:
>
> > From: Pixel <pixel_ / mandrakesoft.com>
> >
> > > Is some kind of perl2ruby guidelines available?
> > >
> > > otherwise i'm gonna incrementally build one :)
> >
> > I was planning to get started on a Ruby Cookbook FAQ (last week end, now
> > delayed to this week end) that would map useful items from the Perl
Cookbook
> > into Ruby. (People in the Python newsgroup originally had the idea to do
> > this for Python.) However, I am very much a Ruby novice, so it is likely
> > progress slowly for the first month or so. If you would like to do this
> > instead, or if you would rather just forward items for me to add, please
let
> > me know either way.
>
> If people are planning on writing FAQs and the like, you might want to
> consider stealing the system we use for the FAQ-it's SGML based, using
> the old Linuxdoc dtd, and it can generate HTML, Postscript and PDF
> from the same source, We've extended it so that Ruby code fragments
> embedded in the document are executed just prior to formatting, and
> the results are included in the output. When you see a code sample
> that says:
>
>    1 + 2    # -> 3
>
> The '3' was actually generated by Ruby.

Great stuff!

Do you know if it will run under cygwin32b20?

If not, it just might motivate me to get a new system with enough memory and
horsepower to run both Linux and Win2000 on the same box with the (don't
recall vendor) virtual machine system.

In any case your system probably should be mentioned in the Ruby Cookbook
FAQ (with a link to your website to download code), to help facilitate the
spread of cool, high-quality Ruby documentation.

Conrad