Well, whatever the market will bear, you know? Sometimes people find it
gratifying to write code for free, and open source looks a lot like
volunteer work from a distance.

The free software economy is pretty solid proof that under the right
circumstances, skilled programmers will give away code for free.
Freenode is looking to take advantage of that fact, and if that works
for them I see no reason why it's anybody else's problem.

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/