--- Brian Schr?der <ruby.brian / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/05/05, Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin / yahoo.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > * klass(*args) : you alias the null method to "new" so that
> > this would be equivalent ot klass.new(*args).  I tend to
> forget
> > the ".new" more often than I'd like to admit.
> > [snip]
>
> I don't know if I like this proposal, but in any case I'd
> expect a syntax like:
>
> class A
>   def initialize(x)
>     @x = x
>   end
>
>   def self.[](x)
>     self.new(x)
>   end
>
>   def self.()(x)
>     self.new(x)
>   end
> end
>
> A[12]
> A(12)

That would be fine too.  But, if you'd do #2 (object assignment
method), to be consistent, you'd call the method "()=".  I kind
of like simply "=" (and "+=", "-=", etc).  But, I don't care
about it too much.

BTW, the you'd probably do this in Class instead (to handle it
for all classes):

class Class
alias :[] new # works now
alias :() new # your proposed null method name
alias :@  new # my proposed null method name (like -@ and +@)
end

Yahoo! Mail