Yeah, straightforward enough, moreover you can process
an array of vars as in the snippet I put up on
Rubyforge:

# function to regexp vars
def is_element_in_string?(in_string, in_array)
in_array.each do |line|
rx_test = /#{line}/
            if  in_string =~ rx_test
                             return true
return false
end

# as an example we may wish to see whether a list of
football match results
# contains a result of a team we are interested in
varray = Array.new
# now populate the array with reegxps you wish to
match...
varray = ["Plymouth Argyle", "Blackburn Rovers" ,
"Manchester .*", "Tott.*"]

#Examples:
results = "Plymouth Argyle 5 - Cardiff 0"
puts is_element_in_string?(results, varray)
#=> true

results = "Watford 3 - Sunderland 0"
puts is_element_in_string?(results, varray)
#=> false, no match

results = "Man City 2 - Man Utd 0"
puts is_element_in_string?(results, varray)
#=> false
# since it obviously won't regexp unless we add "Man
U.*" to our array...
# e.g.
varray.push("Man U.*")