Conrad Schneiker wrote:
> Let's make this an RCR: "A Ruby logo/motto, not a Ruby mascot."
>
> Here's my first take.  To paraphrase that famous movie quote (although
> I don't know what movie it came from), Ruby is good enough to stand on
> its own, so "Ruby don't need no stinking mascot." In other words, the
> Ruby mascot will be a nil reference.

What do you propose for display graphics at a conference?
- t-shirt
- awards
- related toys
- banners
- binder covers
- etc.

I would think that when the excitement revs up at
something like a conference, a safe, cute, playful mascot
is actually nice.

> As for a logo, I recommend 'Ruby' in relatively large bold block
> letters in some cool-looking font, with some suitable motto printed
> below it, in 1 or 2 lines.

How did you like the beveled block letters used to spell 'Ruby'
on the mascot proposal page?  That is part of a flash animation
I am developing here...

furthermore...
I think the text-only-with-byline is good, and we already have it (almost).
But do you really think we should pitch the idea of a mascot or symbolic
logo (other than text)?  I know you indicated the Austin group voted against
it, but what about others who like those kinds of things?  You can always
just use the text-only version, while the childish sillyoos get warm fuzzies
carrying the cutesy bird (or somesuch).

Besides, we could sell them and raise money for some future Ruby Programmers
Association, not to mention bring in more people wondering what all the fuss
is about.  It could be the beginning of a viable business approach and may draw
in more business interest. I think having a stuffed animal ruby-crowned kinglet
would be neat. ;-)  But I don't think a stuffed ruby gem or stuffed pickaxe would
work.

And a logo that doubles as a mascot could help introduce ruby to important
people via their children.   I can see it now: stuffed rc kinglets in K-Mart with
a CD containing ruby, the pickaxe book, and launching your browser to the website.
People may buy the animal for their child, and find out what the CD offers...

Are you against spreading Ruby in that manner? Or are you just tired of the
apparent arguing and would rather just drop the whole thing?

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433