Q: "Ruby mascot proposal. Will this end?"
A: Only when everyone else gets their own way and the very last word. :-)

# [Argue, argue, argue, ... snipped.]

If you think people have _irrational_ views, do you really expect to
_rationally_ argue people out of them? :-)

If I didn't already happen to be one the most reasonable people on earth,
that sort of approach would, like, REALLY antagonize me. :-)

# Ruby IS Japanese, so it is only proper the icon I click on to start
# depicts a Japanese image.

What if the head of Japanese Ruby marketing disagrees? :-)
You seem to be equating personal origins with nature or character.
 Many of us (and maybe Matz) think of Ruby as being in some sense
fundamentally _universal_ or "world class", irrespective of its
origins, somewhat along the lines that many mathematicians and
physicists think. I don't think of Linux as BEING Finnish or of Perl
as BEING American (or more specifically, Californian) and so on.

# I don't really like the name Ruby, but that is the name Matz gave to
# HIS wonderful language, which I really like above the rest. I wish
# he put an end to all this, but somehow I'm sure he won't. So it
# rests on us, guys. Lets think like programmers, not bureaucrats.

Great idea!!!!

Let's make this an RCR: "A Ruby logo/motto, not a Ruby mascot."

Here's my first take.  To paraphrase that famous movie quote (although
I don't know what movie it came from), Ruby is good enough to stand on
its own, so "Ruby don't need no stinking mascot." In other words, the
Ruby mascot will be a nil reference.

As for a logo, I recommend 'Ruby' in relatively large bold block
letters in some cool-looking font, with some suitable motto printed
below it, in 1 or 2 lines. Possibilities include:

    "The Object Oriented Scripting Language" (From home page.)
    "A Gem of a Programming Language" (From home page.)
    "The Future of Human Oriented Programming"
    "Dynamic Object Oriented Programming for Humans"
    "Dynamic Objects for Productivity, Power, and Fun"
    [...]

# I apologize again if I made anyone feel insulted.
# I am not being personal, I'm just again the
# "Gestalt".

Gesundheit!

Conrad Schneiker