Lothar Scholz wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone has any comments regarding this solution.

> I find it quite ugly. But before i write more comments can you tell me
> what is the benefit you want to get from it.

> If i didn't miss something fundamental i would highly recommend to use
> Gavin Kistner's solution instead to invent something new for the same
> purpose - hey we are using Ruby and not Perl.

As I said in my reply to Gavin”Ēs solution, the idea is that I want to
combine visibility with definition.  Gavin”Ēs way doesn”Ēt work the way
that his suggestion may imply (which makes it somewhat dangerous) and
isn”Ēt really an option in my case.  I mainly want to save having to
write

  def m

  end

  private :m

and instead combine the two.  The reason for this is that I”Ēm writing
code that”Ēs going to be included in a manuscript and I was trying to
keep things short and simple.  I guess this wasn”Ēt as simple as I had
hopedӀ,
        nikolai