In article <525df23a050517065137427482 / mail.gmail.com>, rob.02004
@gmail.com says...
> The Edit->Indent->Indent Lines action is implemented as part of the
> core jEdit editor, and it was designed for languages that have blocks
> enclosed in a start and end token, e.g. '{' and '}'. There is no logic
> in the core jEdit codebase to support indenting languages like Ruby
> and Python, so Edit->Indent->Indent Lines won't work for Ruby.
>
> For Ruby indenting I recommend you use the 'enter' key bound as a
> shortcut to the Ruby plugin "Auto-indent and insert end" action. This
> will for the most part indent your code appropriately as you type it.
> Indenting discrepances will require you to make manual alterations,
> the Edit->Indent->Indent Lines action won't work.

Ah hah!  That explains it.  I'm coming from the emacs world, where the
mode itself controls the indentation.  Thanks... seems like I should be
fine just letting the Ruby plugin do the auto-indentation.

One suggestion: Since I have TAB bound to "Indent Lines", which is
useful in the more C-like languages, it makes manual tab tweaking a bit
of a pain.  (I do have ESC-TAB bound to normal tabbing.)  One workaround
would be if the Ruby plugin offered a "Smart Indent Lines" function,
which would either go to the standard routine for most buffers, or your
own plugin for Ruby buffers.  You could even get super-smart, and if I
hit tab twice in a row on a line, start adding normal tabs so I could
override the default...

--
Jay Levitt                |
Wellesley, MA             | I feel calm.  I feel ready.  I can only