Dear all,
I?m using a ruby script to manipulate some database tables in postgresql 7.4.6
running under freebsd.

The following query

create table as select ident,count(ident) as totnrchange from bookhistory group
by ident

Takes almost 20 minutes to accomplish if I issue these commands from the psql
client utility.

However, if I use ruby to do the same as in:

Res=conn.exec(?create table as select ident,count(ident) as totnrchange from
bookhistory group by ident?)

I get the follwing error:

Maketestset.rb : 47: IN ?exec?: could not receive data from server: Operation
timed out (PGError) from maketestset.rb

I also notice when looking at the outcome of top, that the % the cpu is busy
with the postgers process gradually decreases and after a certain time the cpu
stops doing anything and I get this error message.

What could cause this? I?m suspecting ruby because when I normally do this in
psql, the query finishes.
I have to do it like this because this statement is in a for loop and gets
repeated almost 300 times

Can anyone help with this one?
Thanks in advance
Robert