In message <1116192218.8384.11.camel / localhost.localdomain>, Zed A. Shaw
<zedshaw / zedshaw.com> writes
>For the people who can't or won't read, the test is informal and shows
>that Ruby/Odeum is about 10 times faster when doing a search.

You should be able to compare the Ruby/JVM startup times by writing
minimal apps for each that are effectively

        void main()
        {
        }

Run each 1000 times and compare.

I think 5 times is far to few when you are relying on the OS to load
stuff etc. You should discard the first time, as all subsequent times
will most likely bring your DLLs/SOs from cache.

For what its worth, on my 1GHz Athlon Windows XP box when I run Java
Performance Validator and Ruby Performance Validator, I get the
impression that Ruby startup time is longer than JVM startup time. But
then again there is all the time of the injected stub from JPV/RPV as
well, and may the RPV stub is taking longer not Ruby.

If Ruby startup time is longer than JVM startup time, that means you are
doing an even better job than you thought :-). This wouldn't surprise me
as the Java String class is not built in, its JIT'd, whereas in Ruby the
string support is builtin.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett