On May 12, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Is there a way to get a Regexp to tell you if it didn't match because
>> it won't match with the current input, or if it doesn't match (yet)
>> but potentially could with more input?

I've wanted this functionality in the past.  I always thought of it
in the context of accepting interactive input.  As someone was typing
you could provide input as to whether the partial string would be
rejected, might be accepted, or was already valid.  Simple example
would be a 5-digit zip code field.  As long as the user was typing
digits the UI could indicate "ok so far".  If they typed a non-digit
the UI could indicate "no good" and at the point they had typed
exactly five digits the UI could indicate "acceptable as is".  If
the user continued typing beyond the five digits, the UI would indicate
"no good".

Gary Wright