--8323328-625788766-11159279072949

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Ralf [ISO-8859-1] Mler wrote:

> Well...
>
> it depends on what you mean by 'the best programming language for this'?
> Should it be fast? or have beautiful code? Should it be extensible? Do you
> want to rely on existing libraries?
>
> I did some numerical analysis in geophysics and it took 1-7 days to get the
> results. So, you should keep in mind how expensive you number crunching will
> be. Maybe a week is to long for you.

one thing no one has thrown out here is the idea of clustering your code.  we
run a small linux cluster of 30 nodes and this make many codes which we can
develop quickly but do not run quickly feasible to test.  we do a lot of this
since many things just get thrown away - as is typical in research.  in any
case i wrote a tool, rq (ruby queue), which allows one to setup a linux
cluster in about 5 minutes.  for some domains it certainly 'faster' to get
your science done by just buying more computers and writing code in something
that allows the fastest devleopment time which, in our case, is ruby and idl.
no one likes to think of things this way but it can be much more economicalo
have phd's running slow code on a cluster today vs. fast code in a single node
next month - especially when preliminary results are required for more grants
(my work for today for example ;-) ).

2 cts.

kind regards.

-a