James Edward Gray II, May 12:

> On May 12, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> > IANAL, but isn't the file copyrighted automatically due to the Berne
> > Convention?

> Yes, I believe that's true.  But it's still probably good practice to
> apply a notice, I think.

Well, it”Ēs _copyrighted_ without question.  Anything I create, I own.
That”Ēs not the question, though.  The question is how I apply a license
to something that I have a copyright on.  The copyright gives me more or
less exclusive right to whatever”Ēs copyrighted.  The point of a license
is to state what rights to the material that I give other people.  So
the question remains, what exactly do I need to do to ensure license
coverage of a set of files?  My hope is that I don”Ēt have to go the GNU
way of including a license notice in every file I want included, but
instead only those that will be covered by a different license, if any,
thus having a project-wide default license, e.g., in a LICENSE or
COPYING file in the project root directory.  This is how the Linux
kernel code does it, so my guess is that it”Ēs perfectly safe in every
way, but I was wondering if anyone knew otherwise,
        nikolai

-----
 I hope.