"Conrad Schneiker" <schneiker / jump.net> writes:

> From: Pixel <pixel_ / mandrakesoft.com>
>
> > Is some kind of perl2ruby guidelines available?
> >
> > otherwise i'm gonna incrementally build one :)
>
> I was planning to get started on a Ruby Cookbook FAQ (last week end, now
> delayed to this week end) that would map useful items from the Perl Cookbook
> into Ruby. (People in the Python newsgroup originally had the idea to do
> this for Python.) However, I am very much a Ruby novice, so it is likely to
> progress slowly for the first month or so. If you would like to do this
> instead, or if you would rather just forward items for me to add, please let
> me know either way.

If people are planning on writing FAQs and the like, you might want to
consider stealing the system we use for the FAQ-it's SGML based, using
the old Linuxdoc dtd, and it can generate HTML, Postscript and PDF
from the same source, We've extended it so that Ruby code fragments
embedded in the document are executed just prior to formatting, and
the results are included in the output. When you see a code sample
that says:

   1 + 2    # -> 3

The '3' was actually generated by Ruby.

Anyway, if anyone wants the bits and pieces we have, just drop me a
line.

Regards

Dave