Jason Foreman wrote:
> Random thoughts related to this topic:
>
> +1 for ForTran.  Learn to love it.

<snip>

> Don't force an Object Oriented design onto your numerical analysis
> problem unless there is good reason too do so.  You'll shoot yourself
> in the foot before you even get started.

I agree, but note that Fortran 95 does have user-defined types with
public and private data members and operator overloading (but not
inheritance), so it has some support for OOP (although not as much as
C++ does). The matrix and vector classes I see defined in C++ numerics
books often just create part of the functionality (such as whole-array
operations) that is built in to the arrays of Fortran 95.