Franz Hartmann wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
>> From: "Robert Klemme" <bob.news / gmx.net>
>> To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>> Subject: Re: ruby vs. java?
>> Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:30:27 +0900
>>
>> Dear Franz,
>>
>> Franz Hartmann wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> just call me Franz. I study physic in Berlin, but i am from bavaria
>>> (that is in the south of germany).
>>
>> You sure wanted to say "Bavaria is the southern neighbour of
>> Germany"... :-)))
>> (Sorry group, this is just some internal German joke.)
>
> S**prei? damischer ;-) ! Wos wuisch? (<= Sorry to, but that is how we
> bavarians react on other germans)

LOL

> A Prei? is Nice, but a Bayer is Higher.

(A German, pardon: Bavarian, proverb of doubtful quality)

>>> sorry for my bad english but
>>> foreign languages are not my strong point. i like more mathematic.
>>>
>>> I want to do a physical model calculation about the dynamics of
>>> incompressibel liquids. I am not sure which is the best programming
>>> language for this. I think about visual basic, java and ruby. I know
>>> java quite good and vb and ruby a bit. actually i wanted to do it in
>>> vb but its to powerful for me. so i am looking for something easier.
>>
>> VB is too powerful?  I've never heard that before...
>
> there is not one vb book which is <1000 sides and everything goes like

this.object.has.another.property.than(the.other.object.which.we.talk.about
)...
> and you can program excel & word with it. thats what i think, maybe i
> should use an excel sheet and do the programming with vb. or is their
> something like ruby for excel?

I know that people have undertaken to use Ruby to control Excel before
(there were some requests about this).  You might find them by searching
the archives:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

>> I'm not really into physical calculations but I'm sure you need a
>> fast language as these things tend to involve a lot of number
>> crunching.  IMHO that rules out VB, leaving Java and Ruby.  For Ruby
>> you might need a C extension to do the math (depending on your
>> requirements you will have to write it on your own or you might find
>> something useful on the RAA). Plain Java can be quite fast if used
>> properly.
>
> Why is vb not a fast language? I have read statistics who say that
> you can program in vb 10x as faster than in c/c++.

Well yes, but the software will likely run faster in C or C++.

> i dont know, i
> cant c and i dont like it too. /must/ i write an extension to do math
> in ruby?

No, if one of the existing extensions does what you need.

> how fast can java be? depends this not on the browser?

???  Java is not only for applets.  Of course the speed depends on the
hardware, operating system and algorithms used - as always. :-)

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/

>>> can you tell me the essential differences between java and ruby?
>>> what can you do in ruby that you cannot do in java? and what about
>>> jruby? can i combine java and ruby?
>>
>> Well, there are of course performance differences (depending on the
>> application at hand).  Ruby is usually more concise and easier to
>> read (IMHO) because it needs less lines of code.  Other than that I
>> think you can do pretty much the same with both.
>
> Is this good? Can we say: Less code => run faster?

Unfortunately it's not that easy.  But: less code => less time to program
and less errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

>>> Franz
>>>
>>> ps. does ruby run on macintosh tiger?
>>
>> Dunno.
>
> I dont too, so there is at least one thing we have common. I think we
> will be friends, if if you are a Prei? :-) .

*gggg*

Servus

    robert