>  maybe i should use an excel sheet and do the programming with vb.

hehe, you sound like my dad ;)

Whenever he want to do something, he automaticly uses excel/acces for
the data, and writes all programmingstuff in VB(a). I've tried to open
up his mind, but I guess he's just getting old ;) (don't tell him i said
that :p)

> Can we say: Less code => run faster?

no, but we can say: Less code => faster writing ;)

>> Maybe it's more important which tools are around: is there a numerical
>> library capable of doing the kind of stuff you need?  Are there IDE's
>> available that suit you?  These kinds of questions.
>
> Oh, dont you worry about the library, i think i have all the necessary
> math books on my shelf.
> What is IDE?

IDE: Integrated Development Environment
Freeride is an example of an IDE for Ruby: http://freeride.rubyforge.org/