Franz Hartmann a ˝─rit :
> Hello Jaypee,
>
>> From: Jaypee <rf.oodanaw / sd.eepyaj>
>> To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>> Subject: Re: ruby vs. java?
>> Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:25:27 +0900
>>
>> Franz Hartmann a ˝─rit :
>>
>>> Hello all,

>>> ps. does ruby run on macintosh tiger?

>> I can answer to the PS: yes, the version 1.8.2 of ruby is a standard
>> part Tiger.
>

> That is very good. Because i think to buy a macintosh perhaps. the G5 is
> now at 2x2.7 ghz and i think this is just what i need. can ruby handle
> two processors? (or do i need a c extension for that *g* ?)
> btw, i know this is a ruby list but is their any way to run windows
> programs on mac?
>
>> For the other points, may I suggest you to be specific about what you
>> are looking for in VB or in Java (GUI, ready to use libs etc) that you
>> did not find. It will help further answers.
>> J-P
>

> yes you may but i myself dont know yet :-) . i think windows and
> graphics will be needed. 3d graphics would be super to present the results.
> as i wrote before, going into libraries is not a problem, i have all the
> books and documentations.

Franz,
I have myself somehow tested this and unfortunately, ruby shall not take
advantage of the dual CPU. The example I used for this was the
calculation of the factorial of 100000. This is IMHO a good example to
discuss the performance question.
Especially in your case, where you master a domain where other people
are generally of little help, you need to be very autonomous and in that
regard, Ruby is very good, it helps you to really cope with some level
of complexity. In the example of the factorial. It takes 1 minute to
write in ruby and even if you deal with a very large integer, it's
ruby's business, not yours, and it takes 10 min or so to compute.

Or you may get the result in ten seconds after one day of laborious
coding in another language. Which language was best in that example?

Just my 2 cents (of Euro)
Jean-Pierre
PS: There are ruby-Tk, ruby-OpenGL, ruby-Fox (careful I did not test it
as thoroughly as it would be necessary), ruby-SVG, ruby-fltk ...
interfaces to best known graphical libraries or toolkit to make desktop
or web user front-ends.