Hello Robert,

>From: "Robert Klemme" <bob.news / gmx.net>
>To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: Re: ruby vs. java?
>Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:30:27 +0900
>
>Dear Franz,
>
>Franz Hartmann wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > just call me Franz. I study physic in Berlin, but i am from bavaria
> > (that is in the south of germany).
>
>You sure wanted to say "Bavaria is the southern neighbour of Germany"...
>:-)))
>(Sorry group, this is just some internal German joke.)

S**preidamischer ;-) ! Wos wuisch? (<= Sorry to, but that is how we
bavarians react on other germans)
A Preiis Nice, but a Bayer is Higher.

> > sorry for my bad english but
> > foreign languages are not my strong point. i like more mathematic.
> >
> > I want to do a physical model calculation about the dynamics of
> > incompressibel liquids. I am not sure which is the best programming
> > language for this. I think about visual basic, java and ruby. I know
> > java quite good and vb and ruby a bit. actually i wanted to do it in
> > vb but its to powerful for me. so i am looking for something easier.
>
>VB is too powerful?  I've never heard that before...

there is not one vb book which is <1000 sides and everything goes like
this.object.has.another.property.than(the.other.object.which.we.talk.about)...
and you can program excel & word with it. thats what i think, maybe i should
use an excel sheet and do the programming with vb. or is their something
like ruby for excel?

>I'm not really into physical calculations but I'm sure you need a fast
>language as these things tend to involve a lot of number crunching.  IMHO
>that rules out VB, leaving Java and Ruby.  For Ruby you might need a C
>extension to do the math (depending on your requirements you will have to
>write it on your own or you might find something useful on the RAA).
>Plain Java can be quite fast if used properly.

Why is vb not a fast language? I have read statistics who say that you can
program in vb 10x as faster than in c/c++. i dont know, i cant c and i dont
like it too. /must/ i write an extension to do math in ruby?
how fast can java be? depends this not on the browser?
and what is RAA? i guess some archive but where can i find it?

> > can you tell me the essential differences between java and ruby? what
> > can you do in ruby that you cannot do in java? and what about jruby?
> > can i combine java and ruby?
>
>Well, there are of course performance differences (depending on the
>application at hand).  Ruby is usually more concise and easier to read
>(IMHO) because it needs less lines of code.  Other than that I think you
>can do pretty much the same with both.

Is this good? Can we say: Less code => run faster?

>Maybe it's more important which tools are around: is there a numerical
>library capable of doing the kind of stuff you need?  Are there IDE's
>available that suit you?  These kinds of questions.

Oh, dont you worry about the library, i think i have all the necessary math
books on my shelf.
What is IDE?

> > Franz
> >
> > ps. does ruby run on macintosh tiger?
>
>Dunno.

I dont too, so there is at least one thing we have common. I think we will
be friends, if if you are a Prei:-) .

>Kind regards
>
>     robert

Franz