Dear Franz,

Franz Hartmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> just call me Franz. I study physic in Berlin, but i am from bavaria
> (that is in the south of germany).

You sure wanted to say "Bavaria is the southern neighbour of Germany"...
:-)))
(Sorry group, this is just some internal German joke.)

> sorry for my bad english but
> foreign languages are not my strong point. i like more mathematic.
>
> I want to do a physical model calculation about the dynamics of
> incompressibel liquids. I am not sure which is the best programming
> language for this. I think about visual basic, java and ruby. I know
> java quite good and vb and ruby a bit. actually i wanted to do it in
> vb but its to powerful for me. so i am looking for something easier.

VB is too powerful?  I've never heard that before...

I'm not really into physical calculations but I'm sure you need a fast
language as these things tend to involve a lot of number crunching.  IMHO
that rules out VB, leaving Java and Ruby.  For Ruby you might need a C
extension to do the math (depending on your requirements you will have to
write it on your own or you might find something useful on the RAA).
Plain Java can be quite fast if used properly.

> can you tell me the essential differences between java and ruby? what
> can you do in ruby that you cannot do in java? and what about jruby?
> can i combine java and ruby?

Well, there are of course performance differences (depending on the
application at hand).  Ruby is usually more concise and easier to read
(IMHO) because it needs less lines of code.  Other than that I think you
can do pretty much the same with both.

Maybe it's more important which tools are around: is there a numerical
library capable of doing the kind of stuff you need?  Are there IDE's
available that suit you?  These kinds of questions.

> Franz
>
> ps. does ruby run on macintosh tiger?

Dunno.

Kind regards