Franz Hartmann wrote:
> Hello all,

--snip--
> I want to do a physical model calculation about the dynamics of
> incompressibel liquids. I am not sure which is the best programming
> language for this. I think about visual basic, java and ruby. I know
> java quite good and vb and ruby a bit. actually i wanted to do it in vb
> but its to powerful for me. so i am looking for something easier.
>
> can you tell me the essential differences between java and ruby? what
> can you do in ruby that you cannot do in java? and what about jruby? can
> i combine java and ruby?

Sorry Franz, you are on a completely wrong track there. As much as
I hate to steer people away from Ruby, I don't think any of the
programming languages you mention are a good choice for numeric
simulations (if you would have to do it in one of those languages,
Ruby would be the best of the three for most applications).

I would recommend Octave as the best free choice for getting
solutions for (partial) differential equations. If you have money
to burn, you may want to look at Matlab or, depending on your
specific needs, Maple or Mathematica.

HTH,

Michael

P.S. do yourself a favour and forget that such a beast as vb exists.

--
Michael Ulm
R&D Team