On Tuesday 24 April 2001 23:41, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:14189] Re: Ruby mascot proposal"
>
>     on 01/04/25, "Conrad Schneiker" <schneik / us.ibm.com> writes:
> |# I really like the female mascot on the page, but it might not be
> |# suitable for *official* mascot of the language.
> |
> |Hmm, do you think that she could be *made* suitable for an official
> |mascot, assuming that the artist was willing to listen to reasonable
> |suggestions made privately off-line?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'm afraid it may be true that cute things like her is
> not suitable for official symbols in western (or American) culture.  I
> heard Tux (Linux cute penguin symbol) once suffered similar objection.
> And I know she is way cooler than Tux, objection (from the commercial
> section) may be harder.  In the meantime, almost no one in the
> commercial field pay attention to Ruby, so that it may not be a
> problem at all.
>
> I myself coming from Japanese culture, feel very comfortable with
> cute symbols.  But I don't want to see silly troubles.
>
> 							matz.

Well, your impressions re the commercial world in the US are not too far off
the mark, for now.

Things are changing. More and more people here are coming to realize that
"business_as_usual" is really quite unusual, more a result of what Doc Searls
(et al) term the 'industrial interruption'.

OK, we took what may have been a wrong turn, but one of necessity perhaps,
and now we are subverting once again towards the right path.

Commercial == Fort Business == Clueless == 'Gone With The Wind'

Ruby, following somewhat in the footsteps of Perl and Python, _will_ make
inroads into the commercial 'world' simply because _we_ who have to get the
job done will use whatever we need to 'make it so'; we'll lie to the suits
when necessarily ('Yessir, everything is according to the specs sent down
from ontop') and justify when/if we are challenged with 'yeah, but it
_works_!'

A good site to check is http://www.cluetrain.com

A good book to read is 'the cluetrain manifesto'

Read anything, everything on so-called 'chaos' theory (suddenly science
begins to make sense) and contemplate on why less than half the people in the
US really care about _who_ is president (it is no longer relevant).

Don't worry about what may 'fly' in the US; we have to find our wings again!

If _you_ think 'she'is cute and right, then 'she' is the right choice and do
not try to understand the naysayers as they are 'a breed apart and make no
sense'

Regards,

Kent Starr
elderburn / mindspring.com