Am Dienstag, den 10.05.2005, 00:04 +0900 schrieb ruby-talk-admin / ruby-lang.org:

> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > I like the idea of using a single, invented word rather than a two
> word
> > phrase, since we avoid overloaded associations from other languages
> and
> > contexts. Thus far:
> >
> > uniclass
> > idioclass
> > eigenclass
>
> It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
> not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
> 'characteristic'??),

Essentially the former.

but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
> eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
> think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
> could that possibly leave out? ;-)

Well I'm both, at least partly, but I think "eigenclass" conveys some notions of a class which is not derived from anything else -- an autonomous, indigenous or primal class, so to say, something that is outside the entire hierarchy. I do not feel that this gets the emphasis right.

Matz's "singularity", however, is very appealing to me.

-- George

> [On the other hand, if you don't fall into either of those two camps,
> it probably just makes you say 'eh? what the hell is that?'.]

What the hell is what? :-)

-- Ruediger Marcus

===
Chevalier Dr. Dr. Don RĂ¼diger Marcus Flaig MSc ScD PhD KCHT KSR CSM KEL MLJ MOC
  Langgewann 28
  D-69121 Heidelberg
  Germany
  Mail: <flaig / cirith-ungol.sanctacaris.net>

Mediocrity finds safety in standardization. -- Frederick Crane

--
Diese E-Mail wurde mit http://www.mail-inspector.de verschickt
Mail Inspector ist ein kostenloser Service von http://www.is-fun.net