> http://www.ruby-doc.org/ has quite some pointers to documentation.  If you
> don't mind reading a book, I strongly suggest to get the Pickaxe II
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974514055/ The first edition
> is online at http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ but it is a bit
> dated and does not cover some of the newer features etc.

Excellent suggestions.  A few thoughts, however:

- These are the references that most of us use; they are not so much
geared toward those with "little or no knowledge of programming",
however.  Perhaps starting with something a little more intruductory
first... and yes, of course I'm horribly biased!  :)

- Rather than buy from Amazon (who tried to patent one-click ordering)
and who give the authors only a few cents, why not buy direct?
  http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/

I think they get more from one book bought direct than 10 bought from
Amazon (or in a normal bookstore).  Plus, I don't think you can get
the PDF option from Amazon (and I use it as much as I use the paper
book).

The URL is even prettier!  And it really *is* a fine book, one you'll
use over and over (just as soon as you finish a really fine tutorial
:)

If you buy one book on programming, make it the Pickaxe II.  (If you
buy two, get their first book, "The Pragmatic Programmer", as well.)

Chris, who shops at Farmers' Markets  :)