"Kanthi Kiran Narisetti" <TechAlerts / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1115666694.790669.190820 / f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi ALL,
>
> I am Windows Systems Administrator with little or no knowledge of
> programming.
>
> I have been hearing a lot about the easy and flexible RUBY on the net
> from the past few months, which ecouraged me to take up learning RUBY.

Welcome aboard!

> As a systems administrator there is a need for me to maintain the
> records of backup , computer configuration , backup automation etc. At
> this point i want to work on the model for a web applcation in RUBY
> which servers my purpose as my office brances are located in a
> different physical locations . Once i am done with the web application
> I can host it hence my managers should be able to access it through
> HTTP.(I want to add other features in the application which would serve
> as office wide collabarative application)
>
> Even it is too ealry to talk about this , I want to learn RUBY keeping
> this in mind , having done programming at my graduation level(3 years
> ago) I am sure that i can start working on this after 2 months .
>
> Before this i need Suggestions from you all,how should i start off and

http://www.ruby-doc.org/ has quite some pointers to documentation.  If you
don't mind reading a book, I strongly suggest to get the Pickaxe II
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974514055/ The first edition
is online at http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ but it is a bit
dated and does not cover some of the newer features etc.

> is RUBY right one for me ??

I think so, yes.  There are quite some frameworks for web development,
there's even a web server written in pure Ruby (Webroick; if you don't have
to deal with high traffic that might even be ok, and it's simpler to set up
than any other extenal webserver).  You can start processes like from shell
scripts, capture their output, signal...  You can use Ruby's threads to do
things concurrently and there's Drb for distributed applications plus lots
of other stuff.

> Your suggesttions are valuble to me.
>
> Thanks in Advance

You're welcome.