> I am Windows Systems Administrator with little or no knowledge of
> programming.

Then have I got the tutorial for you!  :)

  http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

It's a programming tutorial assuming no previous programming
experience.  You'll be writing your first programs in minutes!  All of
the examples are "live", the code is actually run every time you fetch
the page, so you know the examples are correct.  (Well, except for the
intentionally broken examples to show you how to interpret Ruby's
error messages and what to do about them.)

If you need any help, or get stuck, just send me an email.  (Of
course, I always say this, so most of the sticky parts of the tutorial
have been smoothed over, but the offer is always there, just in case.
:)

Ruby is a great language, and a great *first* language; one of the
easiest programming languages to learn, but also one of the most
powerful.  It's fun, it's elegant... love Ruby!

Chris