Hi --

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Steven Jenkins wrote:

> George wrote:
>> It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
>> not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
>> 'characteristic'??), but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
>> eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
>> think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
>> could that possibly leave out? ;-)
>
> French people. I mean, they think well don't they? I mean, be fair - Pascal.
>
> I like 'eigenclass' too, but I don't really recommend it. It sounds like
> showing off.
>
> Has anyone suggested 'essential class'? The word 'essential' is often
> used to mean 'indispensible', but 'constituting or being part of the
> essence of something; inherent' seems like precisely what we're getting
> at here.

Actually the singleton class embodies more the non-inherent -- i.e.,
the acquired -- properties of a class.  I don't think one can acquire
one's essence; one just has it.  And "essence" also, to me, suggests
something permanent and unchanging in the midst, perhaps, of
superficial change.  That too is not a good fit for the dynamic,
in-the-moment singleton behavior of Ruby objects.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net