Hi,

> |That's exactly what Joao is asking :-)  Up to 1.8.2, at least, it's
> |legal: the namespaces for local vars and methods are separate.  In
> |the 1.9 CVS it's behaving as if it's illegal, though the nature of the
> |error message (and the nature of the change itself) raises the
> |question of whether the change is intentional.
>
> It's intentional.  We are in experiment.

Thank you for answering.

You know, I have found at least 3 libraries that have had problems
with this change so far:
- wxRuby - when running the rake command.
- RMagic - installation setup.
- REXML - triggered from the SVG::Graph library (burn).

Here is a sample from "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9/rexml/doctype.rb":

[snip]
                def write( output, indent=0, transitive=false, ie_hack=false )
                        indent( output, indent )
                        output << START
                        output << ' '
                        output << @name
                        output << " #@external_id" if @external_id
                        output << " #@long_name" if @long_name
                        output << " #@uri" if @uri
                        unless @children.empty?
                                next_indent = indent + 1
[snip]

From my samples, people give names to variables that have
corresponding method names, and this is causing the problem to surface
more often than I can bare (even in development mode). :-) I'm
reverting back to the 1.8.2 release from december until a newer
version becomes practical.

Take your time for experimentations. No need to hurry. :-)

BTW, I'm going to the release of december because it seems a little
bit more stable on Windows than the latest 1.8.2 snapshot. So if you
plan on releasing 1.8.3, maybe some tests with VC++ would be welcome.
I see that there were many changes in Makefile.sub and mkmf.rb, for
instance, which may need some more tests on Windows.

Cheers,
Joao