Hi,

I wanna write a ruby application. But I also want,
that other applications can use the functionality of my application too.

So I had the idea to write a library in C and a binding for ruby. So
everyone, who wants to use C can use the library and I can use it with
ruby. If someone wants to use it in perl or python, he can write a binding
too. So I started writing the library in C. After maybe 1 hour I was tired
of hacking C. When using ruby for a while, C is very hard. :)

Now my idea was to use ruby for the functionality and to create some
scripts, which can be started by other programmers. Like this:

myprogram --do-something --param1=xy --param2=yz

This is not as hard as writing a library in C :)

But the developers now don have as much freedom as with a library
written in C. But on the other hand many languages simply can use the
programs, without writing a binding first.

My question now is: What do you think about this? Is it not a good way
to share functionality? Or is it ok?

Greetings

Mike