Have you patched the rbconfig.rb file that comes with Tiger?  It is
incorrectly configured to build native extensions out of the box for
OS X.  See:

http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2005/04/ruby_182_in_tig.html

and specifically the [UPDATE] section at the bottom.  Note that the
script that was written removes the readline.dylib that is in /usr/
lib/ so you may want to run the script minus that line.

Best,

Rich