Hal Fulton wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> A "singleton class" is instantiated to 0..1 object
>
> You're thinking of the Singleton pattern, which deals
> with a class which can only be instantiated once,
> resulting in a single object.

=> resulting in a "singleton object"

> The term "singleton" simply means "something which is
> unique or occurs only once."

of ocurse.

> The term "singleton" is used in the Ruby community to
> mean several things:
>
>   - an object of a class which can only be instantiated
>     once (Singleton Pattern)

ok

>   - a method that is unique to its object, rather than
>     originating in the class of the object

=> singleton method

>   - an object containing methods that are unique to that
>     object, i.e., containing singleton methods
[...] - (attemp to justify duplicate meaning of terminology)

"Singleton Class" is a defined terminology.

I will not use it, simply because a confused language-designer has
defined it that way.

[btw: the central point of this thread is the false usage of the term
"metaclass"]

..

--
http://lazaridis.com