Friday wrote:

> I've used FOX, FLTK, and wxWidgets on C++ projects in the past six
> months (in that sequence).  I used fxRuby and wxRuby but in a very
> limited way.  BTW, I think substandard support for wxWidgets makes it
> hard for Python programmers to make the switch (wxPython being so
> incredibily popular).
>
> fxRuby pros:
> FxRuby seems more popular in Ruby and support for it is clearly better
> than wxRuby.  I don't know if this is because it was included with the
> Ruby Installer for Windows or if the FreeRIDE project popularized it.

I can answer nearly all of the questions in these two paragraphs:

- FXRuby is the popular in the Ruby community because it is good enough,
and it was the first GUI toolkit available in Ruby that was good enough.

- The reason wxRuby's development is not as far along as many of us
would like is because there aren't enough developers working on it. Nick
Kral (who took it over from Kevin Smith) is essentially working on it by
himself and sporadic help from others. One or two added developer's to
the wxRuby project would make a world of difference.

- It was the FreeRIDE project that actually started the wxRuby project.
The GUI comparison that you liked to on the FreeRIDE wiki:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?GUIFrameworkProject/GUIComparison

was started before FreeRIDE was written because we wanted to figure out
what GUI to use. FXRuby did not meet all of our needs, but it was the
best available choice at the time. We started the wxRuby project with
the goal of replacing FXRuby in FreeRIDE with wxRuby. That would now be
possible, except that no one has the time to do that now, either!  :-(

I hope that helped a little.

Curt