On 03/05/05, Brian Schröäer <ruby.brian / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I once again had the pleasure of solving a ruby quiz. Here's my solution.
>
> I implemeted a bidirectional search and a mechanism to devise more
> general search evaluation functions. As an example I implemented the
> search for the barrel of monkeys that best fills up a given total
> duration.
>
> I tried to make it work with unicode strings, but I'm not so shure
> regexps are the way to go here ;)
>
> Because I'm a bit short on time (and shouldn't even have made this
> quiz), I have not even implemented an user interface.
>
> have fun,
>
> Brian
>
> Find everything nicely wrapped up at:
> http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/quiz/monkeysongs/

After removing the typos that somehow crept in there and adding a
ending condition for the fill_time search it now works. It finds a
playlist to fit into 30m +/- 5s of time and starting with a ending
with z in a little more than two minutes.

Alarm Call - Bjöòk                                                     4.33m
Afternoon In The Desert - Tangerine Dream                              3.32m
A Different Drum - Peter Gabriel                                       4.67m
Asian tropical rain forest - SOUND EFFECTS                             0.85m
Acceptance - Gabriel Yared                                             1.02m
Ersatz - Fischerspooner                                                3.93m
Waltz - Gabriel Yared                                                  1.97m
Santa Cruz - David Qualey                                              2.18m
Tremolo Blooz - The Presidents of the United States of America         2.88m
Channel Z - The B-52's                                                 4.84m
                                                                      ------
                                                                      30.00m
took 141.35s

Thanks for the quiz,

Brian

--
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/

multilingual _non rails_ ruby based vocabulary trainer:
http://www.vocabulaire.org/ | http://www.gloser.org/ | http://www.vokabeln.net/