On Fri, 6 May 2005, Eric Hodel wrote:

> I think that any RCR than can be implemented in pure ruby doesn't need to go
> into the core.  You can place a package on RAA and get a project on RubyForge
> for these kinds of things handily.

I agree with you in general, but not in this particular instance.

A scripting language like ruby is partly about cleanliness and brevity of
expression. By making it part of the core, it permits even oneliners to
use the simplicity it gives.

Since it does change NilClass, although I don't believe it breaks any
existing code, it then makes a firm declaration that you can rely on any
future system and RAA libraries not to break.

As I say, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

New Zealand

Somewhere on the edge of a Galaxy, one of literally billions of such
galaxies, is a sun, one of literally billions of suns in that
galaxy.

Orbiting that sun is a small rock 330000 times smaller than that
sun.

This rock is  covered by a very very thin scum  of life. (Think 6000km
of rock followed by a meter or so of biomass.)

Amongst the millions of species in that scum are many hundreds of
thousands of types beetle and a mere handful of primates.

Surprisingly enough, this email does not originate from a beetle.

It originates from just one of the 6 billion vastly outnumbered humans.

I trust you will keep this perspective and context in mind when
reacting to this email.