John Robson wrote:

> I think the Ruby community should adopt some kind of an icon or mascot.
> Perl has the camel, Python has the snake.  I think Ruby fans should ask their
> girlfriend or boyfriend to buy them a ruby ring!

Back in [ruby-talk:01467] I discovered the ruby-crowned kinglet.
Let me note that it has many aspects suited to make it an excellent
mascot/logo for Ruby:

- ruby crown: gem of a language
- kinglet: Ruby rules!
- harmonious, melodic: Ruby's "harmonious beauty" [ruby-talk:12606]
- small but powerful: concise code does a lot for you
- charming to those first encountering it

With the upcoming conference, it became more urgent to have an
official mascot for ruby.

I have commissioned some artists to make a representation
of a Ruby-crowned kinglet (song bird) into a logo/icon.
They have an initial *prototype* in black-and-white, and I have
asked them to make some follow-up styles for it with color.

They also suggested using a female to represent the
complexity, naturalness, and dynamic aspects of ruby.
I asked them to at least make it 'fit' by using Japanese 'anime' style,
and I also sent them the ruby-chan made by a japanese rubyist.
The ruby-chan is probably not going to work as a sole mascot,
but may be good as a character that interacts with others to
introduce or even explain ruby, like in a tutorial... so in
other words, it could serve as a supplemental character.
(Could even still have the bird flying around her ;-)
On the other hand, it could be avoided altogether.

http://www.rubyconf.com/mascot.html

Meanwhile, if anyone else thinks Ruby should have a different
logo/mascot, then send artwork along with an explanation/rationale
to me via email or post.  Your submission may be posted publicly.

If there is overwhelming opposition to having the ruby-crowned
kinglet as the official logo/mascot, speak up now or forever
hold your peace :-). If you speak up, be prepared to supply
artwork and an explanation.  So far only one person has provided
an alternative, but I am not sure if he is willing to make it
publicly available... (tapo, comment?)

Thanks,

Guy N. Hurst

Again, the url is:
http://www.rubyconf.com/mascot.html

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433