On May 3, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Gyoung-Yoon Noh wrote:

> Python has PyRex which enables writing CPython extensions
> with python-like syntax. I guess Ruby2RubyC can do a foundation
> role for future great works such as writing extensions with ruby
> syntax, enhancing performance easily with type conversion,
> or can be used as intermediate format for translating Ruby to C.

Ruby2RubyC will probably not, for the first few months at least,
improve performance with any sort of type conversion at all. In fact, I
suspect that Eric's current version will start to get fairly severe
penalties until we move away from using rb_funcall for everything. If
you want performance then you should either hand write (using
RubyInline!) or take a peek at zenoptimizer when it gets released in my
ZenHacks package (it uses a combination of ruby2c and rubyinline with a
custom lightweight profiler I wrote last week).

--
ryand-ruby / zenspider.com - Seattle.rb -
http://www.zenspider.com/seattle.rb