On 03 May 2005, at 14:22, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On 03 May 2005, at 12:27, Ben Giddings wrote:
>>>
>>> My open question is then: how do you find typos and brainos in
>>> seldom-run
>>> code in a dynamic language like Ruby?
>> Yes, unit tests and ruby -w.  I wrote the thing in the 'I Rock.' post
>> between midnight and 4am.  As you can imagine, writing code tired is
>> fraught with crazy typos, but the unit tests found them all.
>> When I was almost done, I spent 15 minutes on a 1 character typo (rrc
>> in one spot, rcc in another).  I didn't have a unit test for that
>> case.
>
> Let me put in a plug for code coverage tools in general.
> Combined with good unit tests, these are truly invaluable.
>
> There's a good one out there, but I forget what it's called --
> <admission>I don't use it much, I've only played with it.</admission>

ZenTest?

PS: ZenTest comes, free of charge, with unit_diff, which is the
spiffiest test running helper tool ever.  It runs your actual/expected
outputs through diff helping you spot the differences in massive
structures.  Or even small ones of one or two lines.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04