Thanks for your quick supply!!!

Unfortunately, the "require 'fox12'"-call does not work either.

Here is the output of irb:
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'fox12'
=> false
irb(main):003:0> include Fox
NameError: uninitialized constant Fox
         from (irb):3

As you can see, 'require' now returns false! Which, unfortunately, does
not tell me anything about *which* error was encountered.

The structure of my 'gems'-directory is the following (if that helps):

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.5/
   doc
   examples
   ext
   lib
     fox12
   rdoc-sources
   tests
   web

I have installed other gems which seem to be installed in a similar
directory-structure, so I suppose that's correct (although the other
plugins are simpler, meaning they contain only native Ruby code).

Is it possible that it has something to do with the huge amount of
"declared but not used"-warnings I got during installation/compilation?
(I can send you the logfile of the installation, if that would be helpful.)

Oh, and I just spottet the following lines at the end of the
installation output:

--------------------------------
[... compilation ...]
creating Makefile

make
gcc -fPIC -Wall -g -O2  -fPIC -O0 [...]
[...]

make install
make: Nothing to be done for `install'.
Successfully installed fxruby-1.2.6

"Nothing to be done for `install'."?? Can that be?

If there's any other hint you can give me, it would be great!

Anyway: thanks a lot for your help so far!
Greetings,
Redge