Take a look at:

  http://farsite.hill.af.mil/reghtml/regs/far2afmcfars/fardfars/far/13.htm#P172_25875

Depending on the price this is likely to fall under the micro
purchasing exception of FAR Part 13.2.  Micro-Purchasing exempts you
from most of the FAR regulations, if you meet some requirements on the
price and project scope (c: the project must be directly related to
your business vs. speculative research).

There's much more at the first link, which should answer just about
any question you have.  I've never been on the admin side of
procurement, but don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do
this.  So long as you make the bidding open and fair, while not
costing the government more money in the process.

Wayne