On 5/2/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Richard Lyman wrote:

> >>For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
> >>existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
> >>moved around by keyboard/mouse.
> >>

> >>Hal
> >>

> > Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> > for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> > you're looking for.
> >
> > Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> > keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> > you're wanting.
>
> But there's not a widget that can do that "out of the box" as far
> as I know.
>
> I'd want to treat it as a "black box," if you know what I mean.
>

> Hal

How black of a box do you want?

The problem, as I see it, is that we probably have different
expectations of what it is to 'manually move an entry around'.

I'm fine with it not giving any indication of where the item will be
dropped until after the move has been performed - you might want a
visual indication of the results of your actions before you commit
them... say... a line that moves between the elements as you move your
selected entry into place - or maybe you want 'live dragging' so that
the item is always where it would be if you dropped it... but then how
would you decided where in the depth of the tree it would be placed?

Also - what kind of 'parenting' would I assume for the default? To
make the dropped entry a child above/below the entry it was dropped
on, or to make it a child/parent of the entry it was dropped on?

There are a lot of questions - I'm not sure what the 'default'
behavior would be, to say nothing of what the default keys for moving
an entry should be...

-Rich