"Glenn Smith" <glenn.ruby / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:e09ac119050501122011ecce08 / mail.gmail.com...
> Always something I've wanted to write - an interpreter of my own.  Now
> I'm not likely to produce the next 'Ruby', but the recent announcement
> of Fu's 'TAO', and other languages, make me wonder if I could write
> something similar.  Just for me, so to speak.  A bit of fun.
>
> I did look at the possibility of going down the traditional route of
> [F]Lex/Yacc[Bison] and 'C', but it would be nice to write it in Ruby.
> Alright, it would be one interpreted language interpreting another,
> but as I said, 'a bit of fun'.  That's if two small children and a
> scary wife allow me the time of course!!
>
> I see there are ruby-lex and ruby-yacc modules on RAA - anybody used
> these in anger and are they complete/good-enough?
>
> Has anybody done this kind of thing before?  Not being a) a genius, b)
> Matz, or c) the owner of a fine beard, can anybody recommend any good
> URL's/tutorials/perhaps even books?
>
> I could grow a beard of course...

The beard might help - but OTOH how will your scary wife react to that?
Might turn the whole thing into a mission impossible...
;-)

I haven't done this myself just a silly idea: when you compile your
language X right into Ruby code, then X might not be that slow during
execution because you save yourself one level of interpretation.

Kind regards

    robert