I've just installed Ruby 1.8.2 on Mac OS X Panther, followed by RubyGem
0.8.10.1. When I try to run "gem update" or "sudo gem update" I get the
following error:

===========
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::ECONNRESET)
    Connection reset by peer
===========

I re-ran it and with the option --backtrace* and traced the offending
lines to:

===========
def read_size(uri)
      require 'net/http'
      require 'uri'
      u = URI.parse(uri)
      http = connect_to(u.host, u.port)
      path = (u.path == "") ? "/" : u.path
      resp = http.head(path)
===========

Now I start up irb and run

===========
h = Net::HTTP.new("gems.rubyforge.org", 80)
r=h.head('/yaml')
===========

I get the same error as above. And if I run the following, I get a good
response:

h = Net::HTTP.new("motionobj.com", 80)
r=h.head('/index.htm')

I'm not behind a proxy and I can access http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
with a browser (Safari). Does anyone know why? Thanks.

* why are the options specified at the end of the line instead of after
the command? Took me a while to realise that...

HweeBoon