> What's so scary about lisp code?  Wanna show me some vim-script?

personally i don't think it's scary... i don't really have a problem
with vimscript either

> This is indeed great, the downside however is that on some
> distributions, probably not all those languages will be enabled by
> default

there's a good chance that NONE of them will be. on linux that's not
really a problem, i think most intermediate linux users could easily
compile vim with perl (or the others) enabled...

on windows it's much easier to google around till you find vim with
the language you want already compiled in...but it's not that
difficult to compile in windows either...

> vimscript is the only way to be sure that your extensions will run
> everywhere.

i wasn't thinking of distributing extensions. i was thinking of the
programmer using vim extending the editor him/herself in the language
(probably) already being used ie. ruby.

if for some reason i thought my vim extension should be distributed,
i'd make the proper vim exe available anyway...

> Right, right.... but an experienced emacs user would probably just do
> C-5 C-k. Which is for me faster than first switching mode in vim
> (Esc), then do the 5dd, then switching back to insert mode (i).

i'm just guessing here, but i think most vim users switch in and out
of the various modes less then one would think...

combo commands i tend to use in frequently that require command mode,
i've already mapped to something else...

very rarely do i have to hit esc. other vim users' mileage may very...

> I use Emacs most of the time, but I regularly use vi(m) for editing
> config files.

i was a die hard emacs user until i had to work on other linux
boxes...to make my life easier i just bit the bullet and learned vim
because i knew some version of it would be on the system... of course
once i learned vim i didn't really need emacs anymore. i do have a few
emacs like editors installed though (microemacs, jed) just in case i
get the urge :)

 > I think the most important thing is that *you* can work
> efficiently with the tools *you* use, whether your editor is Emacs,
> Vi(m), a full-blown IDE...

true enough...i was mainly thinking from the newbies point of view
when thinking of the choice to use an editor or an ide

20 years ago we had an ide for just about every dos language (turbo
pascal, turbo c, quickbasic, etc) you got used to it... which is
probably why plugins for various ide's like eclipse, jedit, are
popular now...

having said all that, i use komodo for my ruby programming beyond 100
lines or so. if i need to debug beyond 'print statements' i fire up
freeride.

--
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org