i just made a mod to my attributes module which allows this

   jib:~/eg/ruby/attributes/attributes-1.1.1 > cat a.rb
   require './lib/attributes-1.1.1'

   class A
     class_attributes %w( x y z )
     x 4
     y 1
     z 1
   end

   class B < A
     y 2
   end

   class C < B
     z 2
   end

   p A::x
   p A::y
   p A::z

   p B::x
   p B::y
   p B::z

   p C::x
   p C::y
   p C::z

   jib:~/eg/ruby/attributes/attributes-1.1.1 > ruby a.rb
   4
   1
   1
   4
   2
   1
   4
   2
   2

so, as you can see these class attributes are 'inherited' instance values.
this is done using class instance vars and a search up the ancestors list if an
attribute has not been set (defined?) in a class.

questions :

   - does this sit o.k. with people : does it violate pols?  i think it's quite
     natural but that's me ;-)

   - what do i call it?  for now i'm calling it an class 'inherited' variable
     since it's not really a class instance (@) var nor a hierarchy (@@) var.

comments?

-a