At Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:54:26 +0900, Fu Limin wrote:

> The reason why I started to develop this new language, it's because
> I am working in bioinformatics field in which currently Java (for
> web applications) , Perl(for text processing and database) and
> R(comptuation) are currently most used. But they quite difficult for
> many people in this field. So I realized it's necessary to have
> language with simpler syntax, powerful text processing (as Perl) and
> numerical computational ability (as Matlab), then the support for
> web and database. I didn't aware if there is such a language
> exists(of course, many language have modules to do such works, but
> at least for text processing and numerical computation I want one to
> have native supports). I think I have made it enough clear,

Yes, I think so. Tao is meant to be a bioinformatics swiss army knife
(or cybertool). It is meant to replace a complete toolbox (Java, Perl,
and R), have a handy (simple syntax) and pocket size (no extra
libraries needed for the intended application) form.

In my opinion you gave the best answer to the question 'why did you
create that?' that one can imagine: 'I felt the need for it, nothing
similar did exist so far or the tools that were similar had severe
drawbacks'. Usually that is the reason for me to write programs as
well.

I think it is always a good idea not only to say *what* one does but
also *why*. Your explanation conviced me that it makes sense to have a
close look at Tao.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt